Putting patients first at Buckinghamshire MusIC
At Care UK we believe in providing community-based care wherever it is clinically safe and achievable, and that patients should be seen by the right person, in the right place at the right time.
We provide flexible MSK services tailored to the needs of local people across Buckinghamshire and Lincolnshire.
Creating quality through innovation
We use innovative approaches to cut waiting times for patients and reduce costs for commissioners, all while improving the quality of our service. Below are a few examples of how we’re doing this in our MSK services across England:
- For all MSK conditions we use an electronic referral process and a standard referral template that captures all the patient’s information in one place. All referral documents are scanned and uploaded to a central system to support clinical triage.
- We have developed a physiotherapy app for smartphone and iPad, called Pocket Physio, which provides patients with helpful pre-and post-surgical exercises to promote their recovery.
- Predictive triage guidelines, as well as support from designated consultant leads, enable us to accurately schedule patients for clinics when the appropriate staff, facilities and/or diagnostics are available, saving them repeat visits.
Adding value to patients and commissioners
- Our ‘one stop’ approach reduces follow-ups, reducing the average cost of the pathway by 20%
- At our ‘single point of access’ Buckinghamshire MSK service:
- The secondary care conversion rates have been improved from 30% to 75%, so there are fewer unnecessary first appointments
- Similarly, 70% of those patients where the GP had indicated the patient should be assessed in secondary care were managed and discharged successfully from the community service; just 30% were subsequently referred on as per the original request
- This has achieved a huge reduction in waiting lists, from 16 weeks to under 4
- Commissioners in Lincolnshire have reported that our MSK service there has been successful in:
- Deflecting 80% of patients away from orthopaedics and secondary care, reducing pressures on wait times at the United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Highlighting the need for patients requiring a course of physiotherapy within this CCG – 44%
- Discharging 24% of patients back to the GPs with no need for any further intervention
For more information about how our Buckinghamshire MusIC service has helped to cut waiting times for NHS patients, read our case study.